Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Review: Andy McKee




On Tuesday March 11th my musical endeavours took me to The Tabernacle in west London where I witnessed the musical happening of Marc O'Reilly and Andy McKee


Marc O'Reilly, humble but energetic singer/songwriter from the Emerald isle. Started off with his track 'Get Back' featuring punchy, bluesy guitaring and the captivating husky Irish slur we all love over the top of that which made for a great opener. Discovering this chap only a few days prior to the gig, what really grabbed my attention was the uptempo istrumental passages typical of an Irish jig style piece of music in which the musicians would go crazy on stage. A Mandolin, fiddle and bodhran would slip perfectly into the background for the rhythm section. 


Nonetheless, Marc successfully kept the crowd enthralled. Although a seated venue and just himself on stage he held a great presence, losing himself in the instrumental passages and regaining focus for the next vocal section really brought you into his world. Always inspiring for me to see a genuine and talented songwriter immerse themselves in the songs they write.

'An African Day' was another song in the setlist in which I really enjoyed. It was interesting to hear a musician with strong, Irish musical roots changing effectively to another influence, in this instance, his experiences abroad in West Africa. My favourite song by Mr O'Reilly, 'You Never', was his strong finish to his short but impactful set."even when your lying eyes are closed" really spoke volumes to me, a great lyric and a great song to finish on.

I strongly suggest anyone interested check him when he comes back to England with a full band on April 3rd as well as his upcoming album release 'Human Herdings' on 28th of March. Good stuff!

!!Fanboy alert!!

Andy McKee exceeded all expectations for me. That man has such an incredible sesne of harmony, melody and rhythm and is a privilege to witness live as an admirer and fellow musician. Art Of Motion, Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Drifting, Keys To A Hovercar, Rylynn, The Reason, Africa, Tite Tright Night and Heather's Song were but a few of songs Andy performed with an exclusive live twist such as different percussion fills or riff fills as well as dynamic variations. A joy to see the pieces of music I have listened to countless times still being renewed.


What made it such a spectacular performance for me was how at one he was with the piece he was performing. I think that his music being instrumental lets your mind wander and attach whatever significance it wants to what you were hearing. Rylynn was always that song for me, depending on my mood it would evoke a different feeling or memory everytime.

His intereaction with the crowd was also a joy to experience. A humorous, friendly and charismatic chap, really connected with the audience and included us in all his melodic soundscapes. As an aspiring musician I couldn't help but marvel at his technical and rhythmic prowess let alone as anyone who doesn't study music or play an instrument. The sychronisation and passion he holds towards his art is a beautiful thing to experience live.

I don't normally let myself get too nostalgic when I see a musician live who has inspired me for years but the atmosphere and anticipation of Andy McKee's performance, I couldn't help myself. I've been a consistent admirer for five plus years now and it refreshing to prove to my eyes and ears that he is in fact real.


 An EP release is to be anticipated for April 8th called 'Myth Maker' which features piano and electric guitar as well as what Andy does best on acoustic guitar. Emotive, soulful and beautifully crafted music. Everyone you're welcome in being introduced to such an amazing guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment